North Korea has claimed for the second time this year that it successfully tested a hypersonic missile.
The North's state-run Korean Central News Agency reported Wednesday that leader Kim Jong-un oversaw the previous day's launch.
It said the missile hit its intended target in waters 1,000 kilometers away.
South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said the missile that landed in the East Sea seemed to be "more advanced" than the weapon tested last week because of its speed and altitude.
The latest launch was the third reported test by the regime of a hypersonic missile, following one last September and another on January 5.
They come as North Korea seeks to build up it weapons aresenal in the face of international sanctions, while refusing U.S. overtures for dialogue.
Seoul expressed strong regret over Pyongyang's continued tests and urged the communist state to return to talks and cooperation for peace and stability on the peninsula.
Washington condemned the latest launch.
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki called the provocation a violation of multiple United Nations Security Council resolutions.
The State Department said it posed a global threat.
Ned Price is the department's spokesman.
"The launch did not pose an immediate threat to U.S. personnel or territory or to our allies. But, the launch clearly does highlight the destabilizing impact of the DPRK's illicit weapons programs. It violates multiple U.N. Security Council resolutions. It poses a threat to the DPRK's neighbors and to the broader international community."