Worshippers space themselves out during a service at Yoido Full Gospel Church in Seoul on Jan. 24, 2021. (Photo: Yonhap News)
The government will announce changes to the current social distancing scheme this weekend, not Friday as originally planned.
Health ministry spokesman Son Young-rae addressed the delay while speaking to reporters Thursday, explaining that a little more time was needed to thoroughly review and analyze the country's virus situation.
He did not specify when details would be released.
Level 2.5 social distancing rules have been applied in the greater Seoul area since December, including a ban on gatherings of five or more people, and Level 2 elsewhere.
The measures are set to expire Sunday.
Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said earlier in the day that the government will make a prudent decision based on various factors, including the state of the medical system and latest spike in new infections.
"How well the Lunar New Year fares is a very important variable, while the government also needs to make sure the disease prevention rules are equal [to each business] and socially acceptable," the prime minister said.
Chung added that above all, COVID-19 infections need to curbed before the Lunar New Year holiday and the start of the national COVID-19 vaccination drive in February.
Please send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org / copyright © tbs. Unauthorized redistribution prohibited.